Advances in technology continue to make our lives easier and more convenient. If you want to send fax, for instance, you no longer need to own a fax machine. You can easily and quickly send fax directly from your computer in one of several methods, including via an Internet fax service provider or using Windows built-in Fax and Scan tools. Read on how to use an Internet fax service, one of the faster faxing methods, to send fax messages from your PC.
Step 1 Create an Online Fax Service Account
Online fax service providers allow users to send faxes from their PC's. They act as intermediaries who handle and store your fax messages online.
You don't need to have fax hardware or install any fax software to send fax from PC using online fax service. All you need is a computer with an Internet connection and an account with the service provider. You will use the online account to log in and check your fax messages anytime, anywhere there is an Internet connection.
- Visit an online fax service provider website, such as myFax.com or eFax.com.
- Type in required sign up information, including your name and contact details.
- From available faxing plans, choose a fax service plan that best meets your faxing needs. For example, choose the small business faxing plan if you want a plan to meet your small business faxing needs.
Step 2 Activate Your Account
Online fax service providers usually send welcome email packets with activation links as well as tutorial links once you create an account. Follow the service provider's instructions included in the welcome packets to successfully set up and activate your account.
- Click on the activation link(s) sent to your email address and follow the service provider's activation instructions. For instance, to create and activate your log in user name and password, you may need to first confirm your email address.
- To confirm your email address, click on the email activation link sent to your email account and follow subsequent instructions to create/activate your log in user name and password.
- Alternatively, copy and paste the emailed URL link address into your web browser and hit "Enter" to follow the link.
Step 3 Send Fax Message
Once your online fax service account is up and activated, it is time to get faxing!
- Log into your account by typing in your account user name and password in the respective text-boxes.
- Click the "Send Fax" button to open the "My Folders" screen.
- Type in details of the fax recipient you want to send fax to.
- Alternatively, select an existing contact from your "Address Book," if you had already saved the details in your "Address Book" page.
- Select the scanned document(s) you want to fax that are saved in your PC.
- Upload them to your online faxing interface as attachments.
- Click the "Send" button to send your documents as email fax attachments.
- Click the "Sent Folder" tab to confirm the "Sent" status of your messages.
- Many fax service providers allow users to set up a 30 day free trial faxing account. After the trial, however, you will be required to pay a monthly fee (on average about $10 a month) or an annual fee for the service, depending on the service plan you sign up for.
- Save documents you intend to fax in your service provider's supported formats, such as plain text, TIF image, MS Word/ Excel/ PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat PDF to ensure they are compatible with and can be sent via your online faxing interface.