In terms of internet, faster = better. We all want faster internet, but how exactly do you get a fast wireless connection? Believe it or not, the answer is quite simple.
Step 1 Interference from Other Devices
Interference from other devices can really slow down your connection. It can make even the fastest connection sluggish.
For example, if your router and wireless home phone both operate at the same frequency, such as 2.4Ghz, then the two devices will interfere with each other whenever they're used at the same time. So when your phone starts ringing, your internet may become very slow.
To fix this problem, replace any electronic devices that use the same frequency as your router with ones that use a different frequency.
Step 2 Signal Strength
This one is pretty straight forward. The farther you are from the router, the weaker the signal will be. Likewise, the closer you are to the router, the stronger the signal; The stronger the signal, the faster your internet connection will be.
Step 3 Browsers and Add-Ons
The browser you use can really have an impact on your internet speed.
For example, when I use Internet Explorer to write articles for WonderHowTo, I have to type slower than normal or else it will lag. When I type at my normal rate, a letter or two might be missing even though I keyed it. But when I use Safari, it's no problem.
Add-ons can also slow down your internet dramatically. Although they can be helpful, having lots of them running is not a good idea, unless you don't mind waiting a couple of extra seconds for a webpage to load.
To solve this problem, simply remove or disable any add-ons you don't need.
Other applications may also compete with your browser and slow it down.
Step 4 Viruses
If your computer is infected with a virus, your internet connection is likely to be severely impacted. If you suspect you have a virus, run a scan on your antivirus software.
- When using a wired connection, there is no way for interference and signal strength to be a problem. Ever. So it is a great choice if your laptop is close to your router.
- My internet is way faster when I use a wired connection, as opposed to a wireless one.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades